Virginia's #1 Hospital — Again.
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital ranked #1 hospital in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report
Two surgical specialties ranked among the Top 50 in the nation
- Sentara Norfolk General is the top-ranked hospital in Virginia and Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital ranked eighth in the state.
- Cardiology & Heart Surgery, Ear, Nose & Throat are nationally ranked Top 50 programs.
- Only nationally ranked Heart and ENT Programs in Virginia.
Norfolk, VA | July 15, 2014
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital has been ranked the #1 hospital in Virginia and Hampton Roads by U.S. News & World Report. In the 2014-15 U.S. News Best Hospitals rankings, the hospital was recognized with two nationally ranked top 50 programs.
Cardiology and Heart Surgery are ranked 44th, which marks the program's 15th year among the nation's elite programs in the U.S. News national survey. For the first time, Ear, Nose and Throat is also among the nation's Top 50 programs at #41. This national ranking is due, in part, to innovative procedures used by surgeons and radiologists with EVMS Medical Group for patients with head and neck cancers and traumatic injuries.
"Our community-based surgeons and partners with Eastern Virginia Medical School are actively engaged as part of our care team, which elevates our programs," said Kurt Hofelich, president of Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. "This #1 ranking in Virginia is a testament to the work our entire team does every day of the year."
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital is one of five voluntary Level I trauma centers in Virginia and home to the Nightingale Regional Air Ambulance, which serves a 125-mile radius as part of the Sentara not-for-profit mission. The hospital is a tertiary referral center for complex cases, and home to unique services including:
- Heart, kidney and pancreas transplantation
- Total artificial heart and ventricular assist device programs
- Catheter based heart valve replacement
- Burn trauma program
- Neuromuscular & Autonomic Center with sweat chamber diagnostics
- Sentara 'Music & Medicine' program
- Sentara/EVMS Fetal Care Center
- CyberKnife® Robotic Radiosurgery (staffed by EVMS Medical Group radiation oncologists)
- Primary Stroke Center
- Sentara Cardiovascular Research
"This ranking says something about the quality of care at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital," said David L. Bernd, CEO of Sentara Healthcare. "To be ranked #1 in the Commonwealth of Virginia by U.S. News is an achievement and we're proud of our team members for taking us there."